For in-depth financial information, including our balance sheet, income statement, performance and condition ratios, or demographic information, click here to access the FDIC’s Institutional Directory database. Our FDIC Certificate # is 6091. Then close the browser window to return.
Macon Bank History
The Red Boiling Springs Bank was organized in March, 1919 at the Palace Hotel in Red Boiling Springs. The following Directors were elected: B. W. Chitwood, Charles B. McClellan, Avery Clark, S. B. Crabtree, B. C. Trousdale, J. B. Braswell, R. P. Clark, H. J. Parks, R. R. Clark, Dr. H. C. Hesson, and H. L. Sadler. The Bank was located at the corner of Main Street and Market Street in Red Boiling Springs. The Bank opened for business on July 1, 1919 with paid-in-capital of $12,500.00 and 56 stockholders. In 1928 a new bank was constructed at the corner of East Main and Main Street in Red Boiling Springs.
Brade W. Chitwood was elected President of the Bank and remained so until his death in 1957 with the exception of 1923-26 when Henry Counts served in this capacity. Mr. Walter Birdwell was elected Cashier to succeeded Avery Clark. Birdwell would later move to Citizens Bank of Carthage and was succeeded as Cashier by Charles C. Chitwood, Sr. Chitwood retired as Cashier in 1949 and was replaced by Dayton Chitwood with William B. Green being elected Assistant Cashier. In July of 1958, Dayton Chitwood was elected President and Chairman of the Board while Green was appointed Cashier. Green succeeded Dayton Chitwood as President on September 2, 1969. Chitwood continued to serve as Chairman of the Board until his death in 1974 at which time William B. Green was appointed to serve as Chairman of the Board as well as President.
During the construction of the branch in Lafayette, the name of the Bank was changed to Macon Bank & Trust Company. The newly constructed Lafayette Office opened for business on August 2, 1965, with William B. Green serving as Manager. Three years later in 1968 a new office was built in Red Boiling Springs at the corner of Main Street and McClure Street. Donald R. Birdwell was promoted to Senior Vice-President and Manager of the Red Boiling Springs Office in 1978. Macon Bank & Trust continued its growth in Lafayette with the construction of a new Main Office that opened for business November 2, 1980, located on Highway 52 Bypass. Growing again along with Macon County, Macon Bank opened a new office in the Westside community in 1994. In 1998, Macon Bank constructed a new Westside Office and expanded into Westmoreland, Tennessee. This move was a first into a new county for Macon Bank & Trust Company and resulted in growth within the Bank and the Westmoreland Community. In March, 2000 Macon Bank opened our office inside the local Wal-Mart Supercenter. In October, 2001 Macon Bank acquired a branch office of Union Planters Bank, located in Celina, Tennessee. In September 2018, Macon Bank opened a newly constructed Gallatin office; making it the Bank’s second office located in Sumner County.
Radford A. West led the bank from 1991-2022. He served as Chairman, President and CEO. Executive management team leading the bank beginning in 2022: Johnathan West, President and CEO; Chad Shoulders, Executive Vice President and Chief Credit Officer; and Jeff Keisling, Executive Vice President.
Board of Directors include: Radford A. West, Chairman; Donald R. Birdwell, Ben Bray, Eddie K. Chitwood, Hugh Wayne Clark, Wayne Anderson, Chad Shoulders, Johnathan West, Odric Gregory, Olin Jent, Jr. and Jerry N. Kirby.